Position Title: Fundraising Lead
Hours: 30 hours per week (with the opportunity to move into a full-time position)
Hello prospective teammate! We are so pleased that you are interested in joining our team.
Our mission at Mama Hope is to champion community-led change. We envision the emergence of a new, global approach to tackling injustice; one in which communities hold the power and resources they need to drive their own futures. We believe so strongly in our amazing partners and everything we do is for them and their communities.
How do we accomplish this? We get behind the work of community-led organizations around the world. We help to ensure that they have the freedom and the resources they need to change lives in their communities and build a better future for generations to come. We are also building a community of individuals and organizations globally to advocate for community-led development and a new normal in global development, where community voices drive the narrative and the change.
We are an international and virtual team that lives all over the world in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and the USA. We value partnership, love, integrity, and transformation and put a lot of time and effort into ensuring each others’ well-being and development. We aim to ensure that everyone’s voice matters – whether you founded the organization or have just joined as an intern. We are a team that is very open to new ideas. We know we don’t have everything right. We are ever-changing, ever self-critiquing, ever looking to improve and we’re looking forward to what you have to teach us!
You’ll be at home here if…
You believe in long-term, systemic change and are willing to ride the ups and downs, joys, and frustrations of that approach.
You are open-minded and love to listen. You are willing to learn from anyone. You don’t put much credence on title or position, but on solidarity, trust and impact instead.
You are open to unconventional ideas and approaches. You are creative and brave – you don’t just follow what has always been done before.
You value relationships over results. You understand the depth and longevity of impact that is produced when people feel loved, respected, and valued.
If this sounds like you, please read on!
You will be a key advocate for Mama Hope’s mission and vision worldwide, spreading our message and gathering a global network of supporters and donors behind our work.
In August 2020, we scaled back our team with the intention that this approach would allow us to rebuild in 2021. Our goal is to find a fundraising expert who truly believes in our work and wants to take it to a new level. We have a starter seed fund of $400k already committed, and the Fundraising Lead will be responsible for building relationships with value-aligned donors and growing that fund to a minimum of $1.5M in 3 years.
Here is how you can envision your time spent as Fundraising Lead:
Fundraising & Communications
- Ensuring funding partnerships are aligned with Mama Hope’s values and vision
- Securing the financial resources needed to run the organization and building Mama Hope’s philanthropic revenue stream to an annual $1.5M budget over the next 3 years
- Practicing actions and advocacy that catalyzes an organizational and global shift to decolonize global philanthropy and shift global power dynamics
- Advising the Mama Hope team on their broader fundraising efforts
- Designing annual giving campaigns, fundraising events, and special initiatives, as well as, ongoing individual, corporate, and foundation development
- Representation of Mama Hope at conferences, fundraising, and speaking events
- Championing community-led change – Communicating, representing, and networking for Mama Hope’s community-led partnerships work to a global audience
- Communicating, advocating, and networking for Mama Hope’s work towards transforming the damaging narrative of white supremacy in international development
Internal Org-Wide Responsibilities
- Providing support in the facilitation of our non-hierarchical team structure
- Strategizing with the team on the programmatic and advocacy work of Mama Hope
- Strategizing with the team on organizational direction
What we are looking for in you:
- A big heart for social justice and global equity
- You are humble but confident and have good interpersonal skills
- An ability to envision change that is balanced by your ability to enact it
- Extensive nonprofit experience with progressive responsibility, including fundraising, advocacy, and governance will be an advantage for applicants
- A deep understanding of and experience working in community-led development in Africa. Experience working in community-led development in Central America is a plus
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing non-profit fundraising strategies
- A critical approach to global philanthropy and a vision to decolonize it.
- Experience in advocacy and a deep understanding, passion, and personal investment in seeing an end to the damaging narrative of white supremacy in international development
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong relationship management skills; interpersonal skills including the confidence to network, persuade, and negotiate effectively at senior levels
- A persuasive and personable communication style; strong written and verbal skills
- Advanced proficiency in creating, compiling, and tracking documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, with expertise in Excel and Google G Suite applications
- Comfortable with technology and at ease learning new apps and software
Location is flexible; however, current team members are located on the East Coast of the United States and in East Africa. The Fundraising Lead would need to be available at times during core working hours in these time zones (8am-11am EDT / 3pm-6pm EAT).
Salary & Benefits:
Our starting salary range is $40,000 – $50,000USD and will be determined based on experience and location (note – this amount is based on a 30-hour workweek. The intention of the Fundraising Lead is to support the organization in its growth, and as the organization grows, we hope the Fundraising Lead will grow with us by moving into a full-time salaried position).
We will provide a health insurance stipend and have a generous vacation day policy as well as our birthdays off. We have unlimited wellness days. These are not limited to physical ailments but are also available for mental health, overwhelm, stress, and family support.
Each month we hold a governance meeting, where all team members have the chance to bring proposals of policy change to the group for a vote. This way, benefits and HR policies are continuously improving, informed by, and adapting to the needs of the team.
Applying to this position:
We welcome and encourage the contribution of all people to our mission regardless of race, class, gender, sex, ability, nationality, age, color, creed, culture, ethnicity, family model, health status, political view, sexual orientation, educational background, or veteran status. We are enriched by the interweaving of a vibrant array of voices, and we strive to create an environment where all experiences are honored and all people feel as though they can grow and develop according to their own needs and desires as our community grows and develops together.
If this opportunity sounds like it was made for you, please submit a resume/CV and answers to the below questions through this Google Form link. In lieu of a cover letter, you will be asked to answer several questions. Please refer to the application form for the list of questions.
Due to the volume of applications, we will only contact applicants that have been moved to interview rounds. Additionally, only fully completed applications submitted through the provided Google Form will be considered.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled.