See below for all open positions at this time.
Position Title: Impact Lead (Executive Director)
Hours: Full time
Hello prospective teammate! We are so pleased that you are interested in joining our team.
Our mission at Mama Hope is to champion community-led change. We envision the emergence of a new, global approach to tackling injustice; one in which communities hold the power and resources they need to drive their own futures. We believe so strongly in our amazing partners and everything we do is for them and their communities.
How do we accomplish this? We get behind the work of community-led organizations around the world. We help to ensure that they have the freedom and the resources they need to change lives in their communities and build a better future for generations to come. We are also building a community of individuals and organizations globally to advocate for community-led development and a new normal in global development, where community voices drive the narrative and the change.
We are an international and virtual team who live all over the world in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and the USA. We value partnership, love, integrity, and transformation and put a lot of time and effort into ensuring each others’ well-being and development. In 2019, we transitioned from a hierarchical to a flat structure, and although it definitely took some getting used to, we have no regrets at all. We aim to ensure that everyone’s voice matters – whether you founded the organization or have just joined as an intern. We are a team that is very open to new ideas. We know we don’t have everything right. We are ever-changing, ever self-critiquing, ever looking to improve and we’re looking forward to what you have to teach us!
You’ll be at home here if…
You believe in long-term, systemic change and are willing to ride the ups and downs, joys and frustrations of that approach.
You are open-minded and love to listen. You are willing to learn from anyone. You don’t put much credence on title or position, but on solidarity, trust, and impact instead.
You are open to unconventional ideas and approaches. You are creative and brave – you don’t just follow what has always been done before.
You value relationships over results. You understand the depth and longevity of impact that is produced when people feel loved, respected, and valued.
If this sounds like you, please read on!
Impact Lead – Role Purpose:
This is a key role at Mama Hope – you will be the key advocate for Mama Hope’s mission and vision worldwide, spreading our message and gathering a global network of advisors, supporters, and donors behind our work.
For the purpose of helping you to understand more clearly, the role of Impact Lead encapsulates many of the characteristics of an Executive Director. As a result of our non-hierarchical structure, your leadership would be tied only to the areas detailed in the job description below, but there would be areas of our work where other team members would take leading roles. We believe we are more impactful and adaptive with this approach. If this excites you, we are also excited to work with you!
By way of background, in August 2020, we scaled back our team with the intention that this approach would allow us to rebuild in 2021. Our goal is to find someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who truly believes in our work and wants to take it to a new level. We have a starter seed fund of $400k already committed for 2021, and the Impact Lead will be responsible for growing that fund and supporting the team in growing the organization.
Here is how you can envision your time spent as Impact Lead:
Fundraising & Communications
- Ensuring funding partnerships are aligned with Mama Hope’s values and vision
- Securing the financial resources needed to run the organization and building Mama Hope’s philanthropic revenue stream to an annual $1.5M budget over the next 3 years
- Practicing actions and advocacy that catalyzes an organizational and global shift to decolonize global philanthropy
- Advising the Mama Hope team on their broader fundraising efforts
Designing annual giving campaigns, fundraising events, and special initiatives, as well as, ongoing individual, corporate, and foundation development
- Representation of Mama Hope at conferences, fundraising, and speaking events
- Championing community-led change by communicating, representing, and networking for Mama Hope’s community-led partnerships work to a global audience
- Communicating, advocating, and networking for Mama Hope’s work towards transforming the damaging narrative of white supremacy in international development
Vision Building and Governance
- Liaising with and managing Mama Hope’s board
- Providing support and advice for the facilitation of our non-hierarchical team structure
- Strategizing with the team on the programmatic and advocacy work of Mama Hope
- Strategizing with the team on organizational direction
- Providing inspiration and support to Mama Hope’s network of Global Advocates
What we are looking for in you:
- A big heart for social justice and global equity
- You are humble but confident and have good interpersonal skills
- An ability to envision change that is balanced by your ability to enact it
- Extensive nonprofit experience with progressive responsibility, including fundraising, advocacy, and governance will be an advantage for applicants
- A deep understanding of and experience working in community-led development in Africa. Experience working in community-led development in Central America is a plus
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing non-profit fundraising strategies
- A critical approach to global philanthropy and a vision to decolonize it.
- Experience in advocacy and a deep understanding, passion, and personal investment in seeing an end to the damaging narrative of white supremacy in international development
- Experience managing a Board of Directors
- A leadership style inclined towards facilitating and cultivating the abilities and potential of others
- A leadership style that recognizes the importance of supporting and investing in staff
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong relationship management skills; interpersonal skills including the confidence to network, persuade, and negotiate effectively at senior levels
- A persuasive and personable communication style; strong written and verbal skills.
Salary & Benefits
Salary & benefits will be competitive based on experience and location. We are happy to discuss salary expectations upfront. Please inquire with Nyla Rodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will provide a health insurance stipend and have a generous vacation day policy as well as our birthdays off! We have unlimited wellness days. These are not limited to physical ailments but are also available for mental health, overwhelm, stress, and family support.
Each month we hold a governance meeting, where all team members have the chance to bring proposals of policy change to the group for a vote. This way, benefits and HR policies are continuously improving, informed by, and adapting to the needs of the team.
Applying to this position:
We welcome and encourage the contribution of all people to our mission regardless of race, class, gender, sex, ability, nationality, age, color, creed, culture, ethnicity, family model, health status, political view, sexual orientation, educational background, or veteran status. We are enriched by the interweaving of a vibrant array of voices, and we strive to create an environment where all experiences are honored and all people feel as though they can grow and develop according to their own needs and desires as our community grows and develops together.
If this opportunity sounds like it was made for you, please submit a resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com with “Impact Lead Application” entered in the subject line. The cover letter should describe your interest in the position and clearly explain how your experience is relevant to the focus areas listed above.
If we believe you are a good fit, we will reach back out for a preliminary interview.
Resumes/CVs and cover letters will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We aim to have the position filled by January 2021. Early submissions are encouraged.