Budondo, Uganda: Women’s Reproductive Health Center
Budondo is a village in eastern Uganda that faces a lack of reproductive health services. Families desperately wish to improve their situation but do not have the resources. Issues such as poor sanitation, domestic violence, malnutrition, a high incidence of disease and a scarcity of economic opportunity and health services impact their lives on a daily basis.
The Budondo Intercultural Center recognized the need for health education and in 2005 started a touring youth theater group to spread messages about healthy lifestyles and human rights through folk plays. The performance troupe doubles as a girls’ club for empowerment and education called Twogere or “Speak Out.” Young women in Twogere build self-esteem by growing as performers and creating performances that raise awareness about reproductive health issues in the Budondo community as well as the numerous villages.
Mama Hope partnered with The Budondo Intercultural Center in 2010 to build a Women’s Reproductive Health Center that will serve 26,000 people, providing them with reproductive health counseling, obstetrician check-ups, nursing care, HIV/Aids testing and other services. In addition, Twogere will have a space to host adult education programs in sexual reproductive health, HIV/Aids, pregnancy and parenting, education and women’s empowerment programs.
This week, the Center is planning to officially open its doors and heart on March 22nd! While much has been done since the project planning phase in 2010, there is still more we can do in order to help the center reach its goals listed below.
The goals of the center are:
- To be the leading provider of reproductive health services in the district; providing quality health service delivery with special emphasis on women, teenage girls and children under 5 years.
- To reduce the spread and impact of sexually transmitted diseases in the project area
- To reduce the high maternal and infant related mortality and morbidity rates
- To reduce the high mortality and morbidity rates due to post abortion related complications.
- To provide efficient and effective means of transport for severe cases that need to be referred to main hospitals.
We have partnered with Mecca Burns, Alethea Leventhal and Liesl Spitz to build the Suubi (Hope) Center.
Click here to Donate to Mecca and Alethea’s campaign https://secure.piryx.com/donate/EbcRnaW8/Mama-Hope/suubiwomenscenter
Click here to donate to Liesl’s Campaign https://secure.piryx.com/donate/EbcRnaW8/Mama-Hope/thesuubiwomenscenter